McKinney - Vento Homeless Assistance Act, Subtitle VII
Reauthorized December 10, 2015 by Title IX, Part A of
the Every Student Succeeds Act
(Effective October 1, 2016)
Please see link below: to read the McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act:
The Title I Director coordinates information regarding McKinney Vento students for state reporting. Upon enrollment and in January, parents and guardians are provided (all students at the CSF take the form home to the parents/guardians) the McKinney Vento enrollment form to document eligibility verification. Students who are homeless, doubled up, or unaccompanied who are eligible for McKinney Vento are immediately enrolled in school, are provided with free textbooks, meals and transportation to and from school.
El Director de Título I coordina la información de estudiantes McKinney Vento para el informe del estado. Al registrarse para la escuela y también en Enero, los padres y tutores reciben un formulario de registración de McKinney Vento para verificar la elegibilidad . Estudiantes que son desamparados, o viven con amigos u otros familiares por causa de dificultad económica, o están sin acompañamiento y son elegibles para McKinney Vento están matriculados de inmediato en la escuela, están provistos con libros de texto gratis, comida y transporte hasta y desde la escuela.
The Rights of Homeless Students
Your child has the right to:
- Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there;
- Stay in the school he or she was attending before becoming homeless or the school he or she last attended if that is your choice and in the best interest of the child;
- Enroll in school immediately;
- Receive the same public education provided to other children including preschool.
If your child is experiencing any of the following living situations listed below, please fill out the McKinney Vento residency information form. You may download a copy of that form here or contact the secretary at your child's school for a form. Once you have filled out the form completely, please return it to either your child's school secretary or to Lola Van Dyke, McKinney Vento Liaison.
- You and your child are living doubled up with another family or friends.
- You and your child are living in a hotel/motel.
- You and your child do not have adequate shelter
- Child is not living with a parent or guardian.
McKinney Vento Liaison:
Lola Van Dyke, Director of Title I
2400 E. Wabash
Frankfort, IN 46041
765-654-5585, ext 1012
Letter sent with every student twice during the school year home for parents/guardians:
McKinney Vento Fact Sheet:
National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth
US Department of Education
National Law Center on Homeless and Poverty
CHIP - Coalition for Homelessness Intervention and Prevention
National Center for Homeless Education